Emergency Support Function 15: Joint Information System
Emergency Support Fuction #15: Joint Information System
Purpose: This plan establishes a framework for PIOs in the Mayor’s Office, in the EOC, and at the scene of the incident(s) to collaborate and perform the functions of emergency public information in the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF).
Plan Assumptions: The concepts in this plan are based on a realistic approach to the problems likely to be encountered during an incident. This plan makes these assumptions:
- Natural and manmade disasters can occur with or without warning, at any time of the day or night, and can affect multiple departments within CCSF.
- The succession of events in an emergency is not predictable. Specific Joint Information Section activities will depend on the nature and demands of the emergency.
- CCSF PIOs are responsible for maintaining positive working relationships, open communication, and active coordination before, during, and after an emergency.
- The release of information to the public and media will follow standard state emergency management system (SEMS) and National Incident Management System / Incident Command System (NIMS/ICS) protocols.
- Official CCSF websites are compliant with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- As required by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), broadcast media and video programming distributors will ensure that programming providing emergency information is accessible to people with disabilities.
Coordinating and Supporting Departments: Coordinating Departments are responsible for updates to this plan and emergency public information policies. In an emergency, Coordinating Departments assign Public Information Officers (PIOs) to manage emergency public information operations and/or provide policy-level guidance. Supporting Departments are responsible for reviewing and understanding this plan. In an emergency, they may be called on by the Coordinating Departments to provide staff to coordinate Emergency Support Function (ESF) #15 functions in the Joint Information Section of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).